Conquer the world
No, wait that is the wrong reality.
No, wait that is a given standard operating procedure in this career.
Well, now that we have the insanity out of the way, wargaming-wise the 2015-2016 academic year is going to be lean. 1) I really do need to get published, which means I have to ramp up manuscript production 2) I recently moved and need to buy house stuff as well as renew my wardrobe. 3) Thanks to the politics of certain parties the Turkish Lira is in a very bad position vs the dollar/euro/pound. Which means that a) My student loans from Uncle Sam bit quite hard this year b) Getting stuff from out of Turkey (And for historical minis you have no choice), is going to be expensive.
Never fear though! We did not let a sprained leg stop our Prospectus defense! We shall not let miserly economics stop our wargaming addi...hobby.
First of all the paintbrushes are always working finishing minor projects of opportunity from last year. My newest addition are three bases of 10mm Pendraken Union Cavalry, that has been painted as green clad cavalry that will see double use in 19th century battles as Russian Dragoons/ Greek Cavalry for the 1868-1908 period. I now have enough Russian cavalry for all published BBB scenarios on the Russo-Turkish War of 1877, and enough Greek cavalry for all the scenarios for 1897.
I have also decided this will be the year of terrain. I am working on
a) a modular system that will permit me to do an adequate job at representing the various Altar of Freedom and Bloody Big Battles scenarios (obviously it would work for Black Powder and any other small scale games). Pics will have to wait pay-check and some work.
b) I did start working on various fortifications for the above games. I am loosely using the techniquesdetailed at the Altar of Freedom page. Because of that it takes me more time to get the result I want compared to them. But still not that much more time. I have started with Rifle Pits (about 15 of them), and will built entrenchments, and then fortifications.
Here are some pictures of my rifle pits with 10mm Pendraken Union infantry and artillery manning them.
The work in progress
I am also building towns and villages for BBB. Nothing fancy, and all at the 3mm scale (I prefer the savings and I play grant tactical anyway). This does mean either building more Altar of Freedom paper terrain houses (a very very frustrating process) or buying 3mm or 2mm models. We will see. I have enough buildings and bases for about 7 towns or 8 villages.
What about big projects? Well as I said no money so no funny so I am keeping myself to two and only two big projects.
A) Finish my Altar of Freedom Battle of Gaines Mill. I am almost done with the Union, needing to just add command elements to 6 brigade stands. Then I have to do the confederates. A major decision is whether I go for 4 figures pet base, like the Union or 3 figures per base. I have 18 figures of confederate infantry left over from making one of the Union brigade bases.I would need 25 brigade bases for the Confederates. The way I make them (3x20mm squares per base) I would need
i) If I go 3 figures per base, 225-215 figures or roughly 7-8 Pendraken bags
ii) If I go 4 figures per base 300-290 figures or roughly 10 Pendraken bags
The difference in money is not huge, but at 1 Lira to 3 Pounds it can ramp up if added to all the other costs in life. And from what I understand Rebel brigades were bigger than Union ones, so I cannot justify the difference in miniatures due to history. Well decisions, decisions as they say.
B) Prepare to host the BBB Domokos scenario in Greece this summer, if possible at Domokos itself. This requires a portable gaming area which I have done. I would prefer to had this printed on cloth (at the last MPSA I saw people that did that with their posters and it looked soooo coool), but in the end I hand-painted the map on hard paper. I used crayons and the differences in colors at some point are due to me not being careful, and having to change crayon boxes midway in the work. Still it is done, and it is portable. I still need to figure out how to portray the woods of the scenario map in a portable way. Probalby will use clumbs of foilage.
Miniatures wise I need to armies, the Ottomans and the Greeks. In both cases I will use 3 minis per base, as this is he era of open order tactics.
For the ottomans I would need 44 bases of infantry, 2 bases of cavalry, and 4 of artillery.
In total 132 infantry miniatures, 4 cavalry miniatures, and 4 guns. This army will also be used for 1877. Roughly 4-5 Pendarken bags, 1 calvary bag, and 2 artillery bags. Probably a good start would be the 1877 Ottoman Army pack.
For the Greeks I would need 26 infantry bases, 2 evones bases and 4 artillery bases. I have the 2 cavalry bases. For the infantry I think I will use War of the Pacific Infatry in Kepi and Jacket mixed with Danes for 1864 in greatcoat, as the greeks seem to wear those two items in battle. The main issue are the Evzones as nobody is producing 10mm Evzones. I am trying to get Pendraken to do it, but it will take time.
Figure wise I would need 78 infantry figures, 6 evzones, and 4 guns. Roughly 3 Pendraken bags, and 2 artillery bags. I may try to get this a custom pack, maybe trying to convert zouaves to get evzones.
As a project this is not too expensive or time consuming, and I think my next purchase is going to be the greeks. And that is it. There are some projects of opportunity going on, but for major projects, just these two.